Is it Time to Re-Shingle Your Roof?
No matter what you think of snakes, you must agree that they have a unique way of dealing with worn-out skin. When the time comes, they simply shed it — like an old jacket — revealing a fresh new skin underneath.
Your home’s roof doesn’t have that advantage! So, when the shingles wear out or become damaged, you will need to have them replaced.
Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to determine if your shingles need replacing now or whether you can hold off for another year. Assuming your home has the most common type of shingles — asphalt — here’s what to look for:
- Corners upturned on some shingles.
- Missing shingles.
- Shingles lifting during high winds and not settling back into place (flat) within a day or two.
- Heavy accumulation of shingle debris (particles) in the gutters.
- Shingle bits and pieces found on the ground around your home.
- Spots on your roof that still look wet a day or two after a rainfall. (This could be a sign of water infiltration into the felt or even the roof deck.)
If you have any of these signs, be sure to have a roofing contractor take a closer look.
Before investing in a new roof, be sure to check with the retailer or contractor who supplied the original materials. Your shingles might still be under warranty.
Bottomline: Don’t delay. You don’t want to wait until you hear drip drip drip before taking action!
Are you thinking about making a move? If you’re thinking about buying or selling a house or condo in Toronto or Durham, contact me at 416-889-8916 or email [email protected]
Finding the value of your home is one of the first steps in knowing if its the right time to sell. Request your Free Home Evaluation today!